Monday, March 31, 2008

The Guest Room

Our guest room has had many lives. Long before we bought the house this room was part of an upstairs apartment. Three of the bedrooms upstairs are connected. You had to go through another room to get to this room. We put the boys in these rooms. Oldest boy sealed off the door to his room - so no cutting through. Youngest boy didn't care so his room was the passage for middle boy to get to this room. It was painted War Eagle orange and stayed that way for 6 years. After 2 more kids grew up and flew out of the nest we had some shifting. T moved to his sister's old room and B moved to T's old room. I got a sewing room and a guest room. We turned one doorway into a closet for this room by building a wall in B's room. We also made him a closet and a built-in desk and bookshelf area. It took 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of paint- Laura Ashley Spruce Frost- to cover up the orange.

This was A's vanity - it did not travel to Alaska with her. The lamps came from my Mom's childhood bedroom.









The fireplace wall had some major issues. The plaster was crumbling and the lathe had separated from the studs. DH performed a miracle by patching this wall with sheet rock. That was a perfect time to add lighting . The rest of the room still has plaster wall. My thrifting treasures gather on the mantle. We have not finished the hearth and fireplace surround with tile.



This chandelier moved from another
bedroom because it was too girly for
a boy's room.




The guest bedroom has some fun guests last week. My cousin and her husband stayed for night on their way home from Florida. What fun it was to reconnect with her and meet her husband! We had 32 years of catching up. It was proof that some things are genetic...we had so many things in common! Don't worry they didn't both have to sleep in the tiny bed-I took the pictures a while back- before we put another bed in there!

6 comments:

Sandy said...

Your rooms are beautiful. It's so fun to see the items you have collected over time. And I think it would be fun to reminisce with the kids about who was where and what colors their rooms used to be.

Magnolia Sun said...

The room is so pretty, I really like the plates. So many beautiful things.

Linda said...

What a beautiful guest room, so many pretty things. I love the yo-yo throw and I have the same sweet picture that is hanging over the bed. Linda

Nevis said...

Beatuiful rooms!

Country Cottage Chic said...

It's gorgeous - I'd love to be a guest in that room!

Anonymous said...

Your guest room is so inviting. Love the wicker baby bed and the history of it. Your yo-yo quilt looks lovely on the end of the bed. I also love your painted suitcases used as a night stand. You certainly are one talented gal.
XXOO Lilly