Tuesday, March 4, 2008

The Master Bedroom

The master bedroom was a long project with many ups and downs. We started with a strange room that had been added on the back of the house. We aren't sure when, but have been told it was there in the 50's. It was an L shaped room that had a tiny bathroom, a tiny closet, a dropped ceiling, a rock wall, painted over wallpaper and 3 different types of more recent flooring. It pretty much all had to go! Demolition took a while... We discovered 3 ceilings- one of them tin- when we started. They came down and a new bead board ceiling went up. I love all of the angles in the roof line. When we pulled off some sheet rock we found the original siding from the back of the house and a walled over doorway that is the back of our pantry closet!






We kept the siding. I love it. You can see a stained glass transom in this picture. We had it done to celebrate when this room was completed.







The entry to the bedroom has some Audubon prints that I had in my files at school. I bought them in the 70's when I was a young teacher to use in Science lessons. Forgot all about them until I retired... They were meant for this house!

The Pug guards my husband's candy stash.



This is the "Grandma" chair I got at an estate sale in our neighborhood. It is an early recliner. We took out (or they fell out ) a very rotten window and modern door and put the French doors to the imaginary deck. The tile is there for a landing pad. This is the only room in the house where I wanted carpet. I found a patterned blue with pink and yellow roses . The DH gave in on that!




Around the corner of the L shape is the sleeping area with another Pug on the pillow.










The closet on the left is original. DH added the other closet to match. They are both his. The two closets on top are storage (mostly Christmas decorations).


When we moved in there was a niche where the right closet is and a door to the laundry room/pantry.







My blue and white plates over the entry to the sleeping area.









Far wall of the sleeping area- The framed antique buttons belonged to the wife of a man who grew up in this house. After they married they lived about a block away. I went to an estate sale at the house and bought a jar of buttons, not realizing the connection.



Before we finished the bedroom, we slept in the library/TV room and had our clothes in plastic tubs. I LOVE the way the bedroom turned out. When the renovation gets too much for me I can escape back here and shut the door and pretend the whole house looks like this!

2 comments:

j said...

This is so beautiful. I know you are proud of how your renovations came out! Jennifer

Pug Mama said...

oh dear Lord, I know I am sounding dramatic, but it is all SO LOVELY.
Really.
You and your husband have a talent...
and the Pugs...good God the PUGS!!
Love all your subtle Pug touches here and there.
I have had my eye on that same Pug cookie jar for awhile now. Bid on it on eBay, and lost it, trying for another.