Thursday, March 13, 2008

Laundry Room

The first rooms we worked on were the smallest of the house -the bathrooms and the laundry room. These were critical areas of the house for me and in the worst shape. The laundry room is between the kitchen and master bedroom. At one time there were 3 doors leading out of the laundry room. Over the years different owners did some questionable remodeling! One door was closed off and a pantry was built on that wall. We found the door trim in the wall and saved it for future use. The door to the kitchen was " plywooded" over. The only working door led to the master bedroom. The problem there was children trudging through the bedroom with dirty clothes. And if I needed any food to cook a meal I had to walk out of the kitchen - go through the bedroom- get the food- and back around to the kitchen! So DH to the rescue. He opened up the door to the kitchen and closed the opening to the bedroom. You would never know a door had been there. We think at one time the laundry room had been a back porch- there is still siding on the wall. So we made it a little outdoorsy with a brick floor, wrought iron and birdcages. The paint color is the same as the kitchen - Laura Ashley Dark Green 3- it looks good with jade-ite. Our old house was very country style. I had watermelons everywhere. I still have some -but I have downsized the collection. The chandelier came from my old kitchen. DH also added doors to the cabinets above the washer and dryer. He put a shelf over the window to elevate my clutter. I made the balloon shade and curtains to cover more storage above the pantry.

2 comments:

Judy said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I am enjoying my tour of your home and how wonderful you are making it. Those stairs are to die for!
After I posted about the bookcase, I remembered I saw the idea at the Nestor's blog. She has such cute ideas and a great blog for idea.
Welcome to blogland...I'm adding you to my blogroll.
Where in Alabama are you? We're in Montgomery!
Judy

Anonymous said...

Hi Swampgirl!
I am fairly new at blogging also. We are buying a country home (formerly my in-laws). Anyway, it desperately needs updating! So I know how you feel. Maybe we can share ideas! Come visit if you get the chance.
Have a great day!
Kelly