On January 1st the fireplace looked like this:

I love the original tile. That we will keep and it limits my color choices. It is chipped and dirty -but I love it.

We have debated the painted mantle. This room is really dark and I want it lightened up. I was afraid a stained mantle would add to the darkness. On the other hand I love how the parlor mantle came out and I like the idea of them both being stained. With the pocket doors open you can see both of them. So the decision is to strip the mantle and see how it looks- then probably stain it.

I also love these few unexpected tiles of a different color......

When we removed the mantle to take it outside for stripping we found the tiles were very loose.....

So down they came.....

So here is my fireplace now..... We were able to find some tiles made by the same company on
ebay. They might not match exactly but that is OK because we already have some unexpected tiles! We can use the non-matching ones on the floor of the box. Even though we have a cover - we want to make it so we can add an electric insert in the future!
3 comments:
I love those little tiles, too and the different colored ones. Do you think they were original or replacements? But I gotta say, I'd be torn between using them or somehow using the brick! The warm rustic-ness of that old brick really does something for me. But the tiles do, too. I love both looks. Probably why my house is such a mod podge. I think staining the mantle is perfect, though. In that house, it just needs to be stained. And, I suppose the little tiles are just as perfect, but I sure do love that brick.
Oh, and someone wanted to buy the ladder the other day. I told them it was a special gift to be used for decoration in the shop and I wouldn't sell it. Later I thought I could have sold it and given you the money, but selfishly, I'd rather have it to look at and play with and to remind me of my new family and friends. ;-)
Wow! I love the green tiles. I will also love the stained mantel although I really did like the white mantel.
Wanda's comments are lovely. I am so glad she is in your life and part of your family. You have so much in common.
I can see the ladder being used to display linens. I hope Wanda keeps the ladder.
DH certainly does work hard. I am glad he will strip the mantel outside.
Will go and see "Marley" tomorrow with Phyllis. Should be good. Friday we are going to the animal shelter to pick out a kitty for Marilyn. That should be fun.
xxoo Lilly
Don't you just love how you start a project and it BLOSSOMS! LOL I love the tile and you can intermix the extra tiles and make it look nice. I like the stained mantle. My dining room is also very dark. Center room, tons of Chestnut trim. I always worry about the darkness, which is why I selected the light rug. You can make the room lighter in other ways!
Post a Comment