Sunday, January 4, 2009

The Demolition Continues

The demolition continues! Under the sheet rock (which was not put up properly) was the crumbling plaster. So now he has 3 walls down and he has started on the ceiling and the 4th wall. The ceiling still has the plaster under the sheet rock as well. The dust and mess is awful. DH found two things of interest. First he found a level that he lost 8 years ago sealed up in one wall. He was repairing the siding on the outside when we first moved in! Second he found a hidden space behind the piano wall - under the stairs. No treasure there- but an opportunity for more storage space.



Ceiling.......

Hidden cubbie...........
On the other side of the stairs is the closet where I used to keep the vacuum cleaner. This is the closet where you open the door and stuff falls on you! So to keep my mind off the demolition I decided to clean out this closet! My goal is to get the vacuum back in here....

Here you see boxes of who- knows- what that have been in here since we moved in!

And this is the stuff I pulled out (or fell out when I opened the door!)

After several hours of sorting, and cleaning, and purging I can now get my vacuum in the closet!

I got out 4 big bags of trash, 3 boxes of stuff to donate to the thrift store, 5 more boxes to go in storage (Grandmother's China) and a few tools and cans of paint to go in the basement!
We also realized that the floor in the closet is in good shape so we will be able to take it out and use it to replace the damaged spots in the dining room! We might open up the back of the closet to the cubbie space in the dining room wall. It would not be easy to get to but it would be easier to store Christmas decorations there than to carry it up to the attic! Less than one week into the dining room project and we are already extending it!

5 comments:

AM said...

I am very impressed. I especially love that you are sharing pictures of your clutter areas. I like seeing what you've done. You should be so proud!

Anonymous said...

I WOULD SAY SELL THE CHINA BUT MAYBE YOUR KIDS WOULD LIKE TO HAVE IT. IT IS A SET FOR 12 OR WAS AT ONE TIME. TOO BAD YOU CAN'T CONVERT THE CLOSET TO A STAIR WELL TO THE BASEMENT. I UNDERSTAND WHY YOU CAN'T BUT IT SURE WOULD BE HANDY. DH WORKS SO HARD. HE NEEDS SOME SPECIAL ATTENTION. HOPE HE IS WEARING A MASK WITH ALL THAT DUST. HE WILL HAVE ANOTHER ROOM TO BE VERY PROUD OF. HE DOES SUCH NICE WORK.
XXOO LILLY

Anonymous said...

I noticed a can of Endust on your shelf. Looks like you'll be needing it. Demo is fun but that old plaster and lath is a pain to clean up and dispose. Great idea to reuse the floorboards. Finding that level is a hoot. love from lkpt

Linda said...

I hate to say it but I have a room/office/studio...that looks like your before closet photo. You really got a lot accomplised and have inspired me to get busy...hugs, Linda

Random Musings said...

Lots of work.... But finding extra space is always nice.. I can not wait to see the finished project