Tuesday, May 13, 2008

High On Shopping

Since I am a semi-retired SAHM I have to stretch the grocery money as far as I can. Another benefit of Blogland is learning how to do that! I must give credit to Crystal at Money Saving Mom for teaching me the basics. I'm not a "pro" yet, but I am "high" on the thrill of shopping. I now use coupons, shop at stores that give rewards and send for free samples. The advertisers know what they are doing because when I like a new product that they give me a sample for - then I will surely buy it. This happened this week with True Lemon. I got my free sample, poured it in my water, and loved it. There are many uses for it that I will try as well. But I am for anything that gets me to drink more water, has no calories, adds vitamin C and TASTES GOOD!
As for shopping at stores with benefits - DH went with me on Saturday so we made 3 separate transactions. The short story is we spent $10.86 OOP(out of pocket) on all of the stuff in the picture. The total would have been $71.22 without coupons and store savings. And we got back $39.00 in ECB and RR(cash register print outs that can be used on our next shopping trips)!!!!! Two things not pictured : candy bar (I ate it) and magazine (moved to DH's Reading Room) -both of those things were purchased because we had more coupons than the price of items so we had to buy "fillers". DH does not really understand how it works, but is happy to let me figure it out so he gets snacks!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW SWAMPGIRL! I EXPECT YOU ARE HAPPY WITH THE RESULTS.GLAD DH WENT WITH YOU.
I LOVED THE MOTHER'S DAY BOX OF GOODIES AND THE BONSAI NOT PICTURED IN YOUR BLOG.I WILL TRY TO GET ON THE SITE WITH THE COUPONS. HOORAY FOR YOU. ALL THE MORE FOR GAS FOR THE TRIPS TO THE THRIFT SHOPS.
XXOOLILLY

AM said...

I am blown away! (And very hungry after seeing all those snacks!). DId you learn all that from that person's blog? If so, I need to go visit her.

Magnolia Sun said...

Good for you, I love coupons but have never gotten that much for so little.

Linda said...

I love using coupons too. It's fun to see how much you save....I'm going to pop over and visit Crystal..thanks for the link.

Your Mother's Day sound lovely and your rose tray is cool...what a neat project. Linda

Linda said...

I just went to visit Crystal..and blogger says the blog has been removed....I wonder if she have a new address...Linda

Swampgirl said...

My mistake - I had a typo in my link! It should work now! Sorry!

Anonymous said...

I extremely dislike food shopping. My husband did most of the shopping for years (he loves it) but he didn't use coupons. However, once I retired I decided to approach it as a 'job'. I started cutting coupons (another part of the shopping 'job') and I save about 30% every time I go. I thought I was doing good, maybe not! Maybe we don't get good coupons in Lockport.

Wanda @ Just Vintage said...

Have you subscribed to Refunding Cents yet? If you haven't, you need to check it out. http://www.refundcents.com
It is fun to save like that, isn't it? I'm not doing it at the moment, but I'm sure I'll take it up again sooner or later. Especially if you keep talking about it! LOL

Any time you want to come up give me a call and we can go to lunch and I'll open up the shop for you. I still need to get that ladder! That is if you still have it and haven't decided to use it.

Sandy said...

That is a great price for all those items. That is so great that you take advantage of that way of shopping. You mentioned going to Orange Beach this summer. We vacationed there when I was young. It was so different back then...only one high rise and it was only about five stories! Not many houses on Ono Island then and didn't have to stop for a security checkpoint. Times have changed...but it's still beautiful and more things to do now!

j said...

Good grief! You did GOOD!


Mmmmm. Oreo cakesters!

Jennifer

Linda said...

Crystal's site is great. I've got to go back and do a lot more reading. Thanks for the link. Have a great weekend. Linda

Anonymous said...

okay, I'm ready. I think. I have just spent the entire afternoon researching all of the couponing sites, starting with Crystal's. Believe me I did spend a lot of time on this, and I took notes. I'm lucky that I can make a loop and hit CVS, Walgreens, RiteAid and the local supermarket in one fell swoop. With gas prices the way they are, traveling to many different stores and/or making multiple trips can offset some of your coupon savings. Prior to this current endeavor I had been able to reduce my grocery bill at the supermarket alone by 1/3. Of course this is only relative to the prices at that particular store. My goals will now be to reduce our monthly shopping bills by 1/2. This is to include all purchases. Wish me luck! Lockport does have some good supermarkets.