Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Thrifty Thursday

Rather than showing any recent thrifty treasures this week I decided to go back in time and share my bathroom. This is one of the BEST things my DH has ever done for me. To see an overview of the project go here. Almost all of the decorating details in this room are a result of thrift store finds or really good bargains. I started the whole project with a blue and white beachy theme. The first thing that I found was this print for $3.99 and it took off from there. I spray painted the frame black and changed the mat.

Most of the prints are thrift store finds. One by one I added more to the collection while the room was under construction. After the room was done I kept moving the pictures around until I decided where to hang them. By then I liked how they looked just leaned on the shelf above the bead board....so we never hung any of them on the walls!
This is a vintage trade card that I got off of ebay. It is from my parent's hometown Lockport, NY. I found a thrift store frame for it. I love little white creamers that are usually $.50 or less.
These vintage postcards were already framed nicely at Mission Thrift and they have scenes from places we have been on vacations- Jekyll Island and Biloxi, MS.
Family Beachy pictures in thrift store frames and dolphins that youngest boy won me at a beach arcade!
This little figurine had to come home with me because she reminded me of the Victorian children in some of the prints I had.

The medicine cabinet was a Lowe's display clearance -$10. I added the knob from my stash and DH added shelves because they were missing.
Mixed and matched blue and white plates from yard sales and thrift stores are scattered around the room.

Sea shells are gathered in thrift store jars and on little boxes. I started with one $.50 Goodwill shell box. Then there were 3- a collection- now there are 8- that's enough!
The big glass jar came from Old Time Pottery , the blue jar from the thrift store and the dresser scarves from an estate sale.
Youngest boy painted this picture last year at Orange Beach then I framed it with a thrift store frame that I glued shells from the same trip on. Gravy boat came from Goodwill - I put bath salts in it.


Finally - white wicker- all in shabby shape but I like the beachy feel and no one looks at the back side anyway! A can of spray paint solves some of the problems!

This chair was on the front porch when we moved in so it had many issues. I used doilies to patch some of the weak spots and lots of spray paint. The pillows came from left over curtain fabric and some toile Mom sent me.

Thank to Leigh, who hosts Thrifty Thursday each week. Now I'm off to look at other thrifty treasures here.

13 comments:

Joan@anythinggoeshere said...

Look at all that pretty blue and white. It looks so very nice with the shells. Very sweet.

Carrie said...

Your bathroom accessories are all so interesting and appealing. I like shells, blue and white, photo frames, vases, etc.

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Hey there Swamp Girl!
A wealth of goodies in this post~! I LOVE the shell boxes. They remind me of my childhood and collecting them when I went to the beach. That blue vase, so pretty and I think it came from Hobby Lobby. I love the color. I also love the shell frames. So many goodies-oH! And that chair-awesome!

You mentioned the August longest yard sale. I have been and it is H-O-T. I recommend a cooler with cold drinks and each one going to keep in the cooler a sandwich bag with a cold wet rag inside for a quick cool off. I will probably go to. The only thing I hate-crowds. HUGE crowds! But hopefully some great deals.
Sweet deals here! Thanks for linking up to Thrifty Thursday in Bloggeritaville

Leigh
www.lbratina.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Everything looks great! I especially love the vintage postcards. They are so sweet.

Dawn said...

Wow, I love how you patched the chair with the doilies. Great Bathroom.
Dawn

Julie said...

Love it ALL!!
My daughter had shell "stuff" in her bathroom. It was fun getting it all from Thrift shopping....amazing how much you can find over time.

Unknown said...

The prints are just darling! I love the feel of a beachy decor - so laid back and comfy. Thanks for sharing. PS - love the chair!

Susie Q said...

Very nice. Now, how did you 'patch' the wicker with doilies? I have a chair that is missing a big patch on it's arm that I'll try to fix, but cotton doilies from Michael's and more paint might fix that problem!

Christina said...

Love the colors, beadboard and wicker. Your illustrations are very pretty too. Some of them look like the work of Jessie Wilcox-Smith.

Love the large wicker chair.

Linda said...

So pretty, lots of wonderful touches...I love thrift stores, it's amazing what you can create with a bit of imagination and paint. Your bath looks like it should be in a magazine...hugs, Linda

Susie Q said...

Mod Podging the doilies! I never thought of that! Michael's and HL are great sources for that..wonderful! I can do that on the arm of the chair, then paint over it again to get them the right color...maybe dye or paint one for the cushion...you have really spurred some thinking. If I can get the rattan table/chair set that I just saw on freecycle....

lucky to be me said...

So you are up to 8 shell boxes now! If you need anymore shells for any projects I have Bags of them still! I love the blue and white.

Charlene said...

Love the bead board and the blue-and-white theme. I want to do something similar in my bathroom at home, if we ever get to live there full time again!