Monday, May 4, 2009

A Walk in the Garden

We've had some wild weather!! Last night we were sitting out by the pool when the radio announced we were about to have some bad weather. It didn't look bad, the sky was overcast but not dark. Within 10 minutes we were running around soaked trying to take down the umbrella, grab pillows and anything electrical, and cover the concrete pad DH had just poured around the pool filter. We lost electricity for a couple hours. And then it was over! Until this morning... Now the sun is shining again so I walked around picking up branches and checking my little garden.

The baby peaches look good!

No damage to the radish rows!


The tomato plants are knocked down, but not broken. We haven't put up the cages yet.

Summer squash is doing OK.

The okra is not doing too well. I can't blame that all on the weather. We have a healthy herd of chipmunks that are digging in the garden. I planted lots of sunflowers and only one plant survived. They dug up the seeds and those that did sprout were pulled up and the seed was chewed off!!

Several roses were bent and the stems were broken. I'll just enjoy them inside!

And these things are really growing. I rooted them this winter from some stalks a friend gave me. I don't even know what they are! She said they look tropical and she has them growing around her pool for privacy. Do they look familiar to anyone?

4 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

I have no idea what the tropical looking plant is.

Okra - - - no one up here even knows what to do with it.

Oh, but I DO - - - I was a wanna-be southerner for 12 years!

Denise said...

Love the baby peaches! Thank goodeness you didn't have any damage.

XXDenise

Nevis said...

Do you know anything about growing Hydrangeas? I bought some for my front yard.

Anonymous said...

Your garden looks great ! Love your wheel barrow (sp?) . You need something to put your cushions in when a storm comes up. Maybe a pool house close by. DH will eventually solve that problem.
xxoo Lilly