Sunday, June 1, 2008

Show and Tell Sunday-Studio Storage

If you live in an old house then you know that they were not big believers of closets in the early 1900's! A few have been added to our home over the years and we have added more....but there will never be enough! My "nest" is in a room without a closet. When Son#2 left home, I snatched up his room and made it mine! It has great light and a small balcony. We haven't done a redo in this room yet and now I don't want to move all my stuff out to paint- so it is mostly as it was when we moved in! It joins to the guest room so I do use those closets and the armoire for storage. I have had to be "creative" in finding places to store things!


This is my main sewing station-right next to the machine. Most of my necessary tools are hiding in the little suitcase. I can close it to cover up the clutter. But, most of the time I just leave it open.



On the other side of the room is a stack of suitcases with different notions and projects- pink suitcase is buttons

Poka-dot is Easter/Spring things

Striped suitcase is Christmas

Plain suitcase is fabric samples for pillows
The view inside the Spring Project suitcase..... Before I paint the suitcase I take out all of the old insides. Most of my cases are thrift store or estate sale finds and they are often in poor shape. A coat of primer is next - inside and out. I use fabric, old wallpaper, or even scrapbook paper to decoupage the inside. Finally I paint the outside to match!
Two more nifty storage items are here by my "Grandma" chair that I do my hand sewing in. First the lovely file cabinet! It was really rough. DH did not see my vision when we dragged it home. A few coats of bright pink spray paint cleaned it up and gave it personality! Here I keep patterns in one drawer, scrapbook supplies in one, pictures and photos for inspiration in one and school memories from the kids in the last drawer. The ottoman is great fabric storage and I kick back with my feet up to baste or rip out here. The best thing about it is how I made it! One patchwork slipcover + one foam scrap + one rubbermaid tub = my ottoman!
Pull off the top and there is a big tub to put all the fabric that you have forgotten why you bought!

Moving into my guest room are more suitcases. These are where I store painting and paper mache supplies.


This is a "new" suitcase that I will not paint because the aqua color is perfect for the guest room. I did redo the inside with old music and scrapbook paper.The fabric closet with a plastic shoe bag to hold trims. Love it because I can see everything in it easily.


Finally two vintage sewing baskets that Mom found on ebay. I have crochet thread in them.





Now that I look at the pictures- the rooms looks like they are straightened up. This is a clear illustration of how photo editing can provide misinformation! Thanks for stopping by today. Remember to check out all of the other ideas at Little Pink Studio !

21 comments:

Karen ~ Cider Antiques said...

Oh what pretty suitcases! Just gorgeous. You have done a lovely job with them. The ottoman is perfect!!! I have a floral slipcover so I just may borrow that idea ~ It is brilliant!

Karen at Ciderantiques

Anonymous said...

Just can't have enough storage. The suitcases are a great part of the solution. There are 3 more waiting for you in N.C. The ottoman is a fantastic idea.

Lilly xxoo

Leaon Mary said...

You should be selling those ottomans! WOW!~~ THAT WILL PROBABLY BE, THEE 5STARS OF THEE DAY!
When you decoupage with thee old wallpaper, how do you keep it from bubbling/wrinkling?
Lea

Anonymous said...

I have to admit that I did poke around a little. I wanted to see how you made the ottoman and was surprised to see the rubbermaid tub underneath! I'm stealing that idea. It's brilliant! love the suitcases, too. Another great solution that's also decorative. I will be stealing again. I think I'll put my collection of "specially made" teddy's in a suitcase in the guest bedroom.
luv from lkpt

My Arts Desire said...

Lynn!
That ottoman idea goes on my list of CLEVERLY CREATIVE IDEAS. One could go wild with that idea. Had I seen this when my children were young, I can visualize using this in a child's room to double as toy storage and an extra little seating area. Darling. Your suitcases are wonderful as well. You earn an "A+" today!!
Thanks for sharing,
xo
Sue

Cami said...

Well, aren't you the brilliant one. I need a pink and/or aqua filing cabinet. OMGosh, that's fab. And the storage tote cozy. Out of this world! You should market that straight away. And put me on the top of the list. My walls are vintage aqua. The chair is a faded med. pink color! *****

Bonnie said...

What a fun peek into your studio! Love the aqua suitcase -- yummy.

Bonnie

Unknown said...

Love all of your ideas..but my fav is how you turned the storage tub in to an ottoman! WOW!

Have a blessed day..Lorena

Little Pink Studio said...

Such pretty suitcases!
Thanks for playing along!!
~Cerri xo

Anonymous said...

You have Great storage. I love the suitcases and how you painted them and the ottoman is a clever ideal, great job!!! Thanks for sharing.

Kathy

Recycled Rita said...

I love all your storage solutions! The suitcases are wonderful! I just got a child's suitcase to alter the other day but usually they are quite expensive here in Calif. even in the thrift shops. I also love your little ottoman, you are quite creative! karen b...
recycledrita.blogspot.com

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

Oh boy.. you got very pretty suitcases in here!.. now you make me going to do something with my suitcases.. and the ottoman is a great idea.. I might do the same at my home..

thanks for sharing..

Heidi said...

Great suitcases! I actually have seen the ottoman idea somewhere before...can't remember where...but glad to be reminded!! Your covers are wonderful.
-Heidi

Magnolia Sun said...

LOVE LOVE all the suitcases and the baskets are beautiful. I think that's a great idea for storage too.

Rosanne said...

I like allyour suitcases, they're great for storage and I love the use of the rubbermaid tote to create an ottoman, so original, I may have to make one!

Danielle Dyball said...

I love seeing other's creative spaces. Yours is wonderful!! I think I'm going to steal your ottoman idea!!

Danielle:-)

Cami @ Creating Myself said...

You've got some great storage ideas! I'm so stealing the ottoman/tub idea...how clever! I use shoe bags on the back of doors for storage too. I have one on the back of my garage door, pantry door & one in my studio...they're handy! Cami

Mrs.D said...

Love how you used the suitcases for storage. I also use an old, clear shoe bag for storage only mine holds wrapping and tissue paper.

Nevis said...

You are SO organized and clean! I wouldn't want to take photos of my closet spareroom. It's SO messy!!!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad I ran across your blog! Using the suitcases for storage is a fabulous idea- I'm going to have to steal that one! I love your ottoman too!!

C&C said...

Oh that room is too cute! I LOVE the pink filing cabinet - that's a great way to spruce up what is usually an eyesore.