I consider grocery shopping to be one of my "jobs" in the household and I take it seriously! I make a game out of saving money with coupons and sales. Since it can be time consuming I have worked out a plan that works for me, saves time and lessens the stress of misplacing coupons. I would like to introduce you to "Big Pink" -my coupon system. It has many good qualities- a zipper to keep coupons from slipping out of place, many pockets, a cheerful color, and room to organize. Yes, my family does make fun of it......but, they like the snacks that I get for little $$$$.
It has many pages of photo organizers that make the coupons easy to find, labeled and arranged by the aisles in the grocery store.
Pockets for each store I use to keep ads , store specific coupons and lists I plan to buy that week.As I have become more organized I really spend less time working things out. Here are my steps each week:
1. Sunday -buy at least 2 newspapers, cut and organize coupons, plan purchases for CVS, Walgreens, Target, Kroger. Other stores I plan whenever I see the info.
2. Check coupon blogs twice a day, morning and before bed. Add deals to store lists and pull needed coupons.
3. Shop as many stores as I can on one trip. Combine shopping with any errands that I can to minimize gas usage.
4. I carry "Big Pink" in the car, but I only take it in for big grocery trips. I take out the pocket for the store, list and the coupons I have pulled for smaller trips.
5. Celebrate saving money when I get home!
5. Celebrate saving money when I get home!
Another benefit of "BigPink" is that I have eliminated the piles and piles of coupons I used to leave sitting around the house! To prove to myself that this is worth it I have kept good records for the month of June to compare money spent and money saved with coupons. I am planning to try to work out a new grocery budget after I see how well I did!


6 comments:
you are a dedicated couponer!!. I think big pink is cute. to heck with those who make fun of you! It really will be interesting to see how much you save compared to what you would have spent over a month's time. love from lkpt
Oohhh... good work! I'm not quite so organized. I use a small box envelopes for each category. Each envelope has a tab at the top, and I pull the coupons I need and make a list before leaving for the store.
Maybe one day, when it's time for an upgrade, I'll try your method :o)
Wonderful idea. Nice to save money with gas prices like they are. A routine will really make it worth while. I'm sure it is already worth it. Isn't "love from lkpt cute"? I get the impression that she comes from a really nice family. Don't you agree ?
xxooLilly
now that's organized!
That's what I need. I still have the piles of unorganized coupons lying about...
WOW! You are so organized and thrifty! I admire you!
Jen
Post a Comment