Sunday, March 28, 2010

Tale of $5 Chair

My Hubby and I went Yard "Sailing" this weekend. He was a good sport and gave up his Saturday morning to drive me around. There were some hits and misses. It was windy and not quite as warm as I like it! This poor little $5 chair was my favorite hit. We spent most of the weekend together doing a makeover!It was sturdy, old and had some cute details. The plan was to make a slip cover for the seat. I have been considering slip covers for the dining room and this could be a good practice. Look at the cuteness of the back of the chair!
The leopard was not what I had in mind and the cording was falling off. This was not a professional job!!!

Underneath that.....even worse!!!!!

At one time it had a caned seat under the stripe. The caning was broken. It could have been replaced, if they had not put so many nail holes in the wood when they put a seat on it! So I covered the seat with a piece of toile I had. Much better already!
I got out the big linen dress that I got at a thrift store recently (to make pillows out of) and made a slip cover.

My favorite part are all the little pleats. They took a long time ....maybe I'll reconsider doing slip covers for the 6 dining room chairs!!!!

And here it is - in the hall- with a new/old needlepoint pillow! Cute!
The pillow was a needlepoint canvas I found at Goodwill and finished 8 years ago! There were four of them. I made the first one into a pillow. Then the others went to the pile of unfinished projects. I found this one when I was cleaning the sewing room. It had a few moth holes :( but luckily I had more of the yarn. I repaired it and made the pillow this week...now if I could only find the other two!!!

7 comments:

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

That is adorbable!!!!!

Anonymous said...

So cute. Love the upper back and love the little pleated seat cover. The pillow looks great on it. xxoo Lil

Lilly said...

Cool

xxoo lil

Lilly said...

I ordered Matthew Mead's Holiday book so don't order one. You can have mine when it comes. So. Hospitality has a link to his site and that is where I ordered it. It is 15.95 but it sounds like it will be well worth it. Now I want the Flea Market Mag.
xxoo Lil

kristie said...

you did a great job! i love the pleats on the slipcover!!! what is the back like/how does it fit over the chair???

kristie said...

ps: you are SO lucky your mom's getting you the matthew mead holiday book!!!

Wanda @ Just Vintage said...

What a sweetheart my step-brother is! You lucky girl, you. ;-) Better be glad Miss Erin wasn't out at the yard sales before you. I'm sure she would have snapped that chair right up. I would have too, but wasn't down your way. The toile and the slip cover both look great. And you've given me an idea. An idea I'll probably never act on. LOL