Monday, March 1, 2010

Chug Update

I was watching the "Pet of the Week" last week to see if they mentioned that Chug had found a home. They did not say the name but they said the SPECIAL NEEDS dog had been adopted by one of their viewers! OK, our work is cut out for us!


We knew that adding another animal to the pack would not be easy! They have been getting to know each other...alliances have been formed...territory has been marked....and we are being trained! We have learned that a rescue dog comes with baggage and issues! Chug has separation anxiety issues. He does not like to be confined or left alone! He is a "people" dog and does not like to be without his people! We are trying to get him used to the company of dogs!
He is perfectly content to sleep in a chair as long as I am in the room. Of course he would prefer to be in my lap but we have made progress there. We are struggling with leaving the house without him! He gets hysterical in the crate. I came home to find the crate locked and Chug missing. He chewed the metal bars and bent them enough to get out...the hole was no more than 4 inches!!! He was partying upstairs in youngest son's room!
Next we tried the double baby gate in the kitchen since he can jump the gate that keeps the pugs in. It worked for 1 day! On Sunday we came home to this:

He chewed a hole in the plastic gate and let Eli and Bitsey out! We were gone about an hour! His destructive acts are limited to when he is confined so we are going to start letting him roam the house when we go out for short periods!
And the crate is fine as long as the door is not closed!!!

He also has some issues with housebreaking. Luckily we walk the pugs a lot so he goes with them whether he wants to or not! We have seen great improvement there. He seems to copy Eli! The first week we had to carry him outside and he just sat and shivered. Now he runs to the door most of the time when someone picks up a leash. He has also learned to chew dog toys and sticks. He and Bitsey have argued over toys some and he does not back down!
He is the most loving dog I've ever seen, even with his issues, I can't imagine who could give him away!

4 comments:

Sandy said...

OH I am so glad to hear that you love him! Boy, he has done a number on the prison bars! I hope he does well with roaming the house. Maybe the other doggies will help him feel more at home over time and he will copy their good behavior. He sure is a cutie!

j said...

Your pet family is precious! We just figured out today that our puppy isn't as house trained as we thought. I hope we can get that under control.

Gerry said...

Chug seems to be making progress. Hang in there. He is cute. Bon and Tom left last night. Sure did enjoy them. Bon did some rearranging in the dining room. We both agree that Rhoda's paint in her dining room is the paint I should use. Also, Bon loved Rhoda's shelves in her dining room. I will look for some. We have lots of snow today. Dentist called to cancel my appointment. Love on that little doggie. lilxxoo

chalica pack said...

He is so darn cute. I cant believe how smart and devious he is!