Monday, April 5, 2010

Goodwill Returns

Goodwill closed a couple of years ago. I was crushed. It was only a few blocks away from my house and it was so easy for me to run by several times a week. In and out in 5 minutes....and I often found vintage goodies. So you can imagine my joy that it has reopened in town - not so close- but I was happy. They had their Grand Opening on April 1st ....was that a joke?

I got there early and the parking lot was crowded. There were speeches- It was HOT- I got in the shade behind the stage to wait for the doors to open- They were going to release 2006 butterflies to symbolize the 2006 people that the career center helped last year.....Do you see where this is heading?

The speeches were not long but there were several of them.
The crowd grew hot and restless.
The butterflies were beating their wings off frantically in the boxes.
I was being smushed.
They released the butterflies, who in their confusion, flew toward the
crowd-against the building.
Many of them did not make it.
The crowd surged toward the open doors - trying to escape the butterflies,
get in the air conditioning, and be one of the first 200 people to get
a t shirt.
I was carried along in the wave.
I got a t shirt and a butterfly caught in my hair.

I thought that I would just look around and leave but the crowd was pouring in and I hid out in the back of the store to wait for a lull. Then I saw him...
And he had to come home with me...
Then I saw this FireKing bowl and it needed to go to my Thrifting Buddy for her collection.
And since I still could not get near the exit, this milk glass candle holder joined us-

Finally I made a break for it, got in line to pay (with my 20% off coupon) and found out the cashiers had no idea how to work the registers with a coupon! I really think this was all an April Fool's Day joke!!!

6 comments:

Sandy said...

You'd think that was Ikea opening! I like that little bunny. Show us a picture of the pugs, nonpugs and cats!

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

Very funny...as I was reading I had images in my head of that butterfly in your hair as you were shepherded into the store! But the bunny made it worthwhile!

Pam said...

Aw, poor butterflies. What chaos though. I don't think I could have dealt with it. The older I get the more I hate crowds. lol!

GREAT finds though. I don't blame you for snatching the bunny planter. Very cute indeed.

Lilly said...

Did GW finally honor your coupon? Glad they came back to town. I go into GW at least one a week. It is located in the old (but new)Food Town shop'g center where you shopped for college. Had a different Easter dinner with S and N. Hot up here. Have worked some in my garden. Love, love the bunny planter. I think you did good despite the butterflies. Sort of cruel, don't you think?

xxoo lil

anne said...

I adore the bunny! you know i am a sucker for a bunny. and of course i really love the pyrex! have not seen that pattern either. I want to check out the place after the new and busy wears off a bit!

chalica pack said...

Wow, those are great finds for a new Good Will!

I wish people would stop using butterflies for things. It always ends up sad.