Monday, August 10, 2009

The World's Longest Yard Sale

I learned that it is best to go to this event with no expectations of finding a certain thing. It is all serendipity! You find unexpected things in unexpected places while chatting with unique people! I did want a table to put a lamp on- it was the first thing I bought!

A and I drove up to Gadsden, AL on Friday morning. It took about 2 and 1/2 hours with our trusty GPS guiding the way! The GPS died then. But, we were good because we found the start of the trail! I didn't carry my big camera so all pictures are from my phone. I didn't take that many pictures because it was all so overwhelming ! Overall it was VERY HOT! I live in Alabama...I know hot ...I love hot...but this was the hottest I've ever been! We laughed a lot-just fun girl time! It was wall to wall yard sales in Gadsden. We had to pick and choose, because you could not do it all. We learned to drive by and scan for places with parking, several booths that we could walk to, and vintage stuff rather than new or stuff that we just sold at our own yard sales!




The route was not marked as well as it could have been, we got lost a couple times and the 2nd GPS was not that helpful. It just wanted us on more direct routes!!! GPS #2 died the second day!

We got a little worried about lodging for the night since we were going through small towns (no hotels, McDonald's, few gas stations) so we decided to hit the highway. We also found that hotels along the interstate had no vacancies! Headed up to Chattanooga, TN and luckily A's hubby was able to get reservations for us in a beautiful Marriott in Downtown Chattanooga that was right where the Yard sale route cuts through town! We got cooled down, fed and clean so we felt human again!
Saturday we were up early and hit the road going back South. We drove through Lookout Mountain where the yard sales were few and far between until we got back in Alabama. The scenery was beautiful! We learned how to pump gas the old fashioned way and how to find bathrooms rather than port-a-potties! Thanks go out to the volunteer fire departments along the way who opened their bathrooms!
Our final misadventure was a missed exit on the way home. We were talking away when we noticed the Georgia state line! So we took a little detour through Roopville, GA to get back to I85 then back home!
A bought more than I did, I'll have to get some pictures of her stuff! I am proud that I did bargain down some prices, although she became very skilled at it! I will write more about how we counted our blessings along the way and met some colorful people later!

Here is a picture of my junk....more later!

10 comments:

Gerry said...

Swampgirl...I know that table and it is old. There is a refinished one in the Narthex of our church. It will be super great cleaned up and refinished. Don't paint it if you can possible redo it. Love the crocs. Love the color. Nice tray and suitcase. You did well. Am anxious to see what A got. Kuddos to her DH for getting you a great place to spend the night. Overall, you did well and look forward to the trip next year. Meet your cousins further North.
xxoo Lilly

Nevis said...

What a lovely little table!

Anonymous said...

I have always wanted to go and do that, but haven't yet. I know the heat would kill me! LOL!
Glad you had fun and got home safely.

kristie said...

i have a table just like that!

Denise said...

How fun! I have always wanted to do that! But, it is a little far from northern Indiana!

Enjoy your goodies.

XXDenise

Anonymous said...

This is the second place I've visited today where the author went to the Longest Yard Sale. Next Year, I want to go, for sure. I grew up just a few miles from the beginning but I've never gone. Mother and Daddy did a lot in their later years. Sounds like it turned into a great girl get away.
Mama Bear

Linda said...

Oh, I have always wanted to do The Worlds Longest Yard Sale, how fun....it sounds like you had a wonderful adventure. When I saw all the beautiful Moonstone my heart skipped a beat...I love it and know where I'd be spending my money. I'm glad you had fun and look forward to seeing more pictures and more about your get-away...hugs, Linda

Sandy said...

That sounds like a very nice weekend. I hope we get to see what your friend bought. Glad you found a place to stay!

lucky to be me said...

I posted on mine so you can see my stuff. I referenced your blog too. What a great time! Start saving for next year!

Blue Creek Home said...

It looks like you guys had a good time.
And yes, it was Cock of the Walk!!
They are soooo cute!