Sunday, November 30, 2008

Countdown to Christmas - Day 25

Saturday I faced my Christmas nemesis - the tree! We have a fake tree- I wish I could handle a real tree, but I can't. The cats make it too hard. Plus we have high ceilings and we really need a big tree. When we moved in we found the tree in the basement (dirt floor, dark, damp, scary) -




It still had the price tag on it, but it was scattered in over 100 pieces all over. The paint on the tips of each branch had rusted off. We knew it was tall and we were so excited for our first Christmas on the Porch Tour that we decided to try to put it together. That year we started on Halloween. I had on my scarecrow costume as we sorted the branches and tried to figure it out! It took two weeks. We now have it down to 4 hours. That is just to put the tree and lights up - no decorations! I start by clearing a space in the dining room (which was easier before we got the table!) And I play my Il Divo Christmas CD on repeat the whole 4 hours.


The branches are sorted and shrink wrapped, stored in trash cans.


DH comes in 1/2 way to tie the tree to a hook in the ceiling (the first year Seven, the cat, rode the tree to the floor in the middle of the night).


Four hours later I have a big, naked tree to look forward to decorating the next day!

4 comments:

kristie said...

i see in the first picture lulu is trying to figure out how she's going to take the tree out, lol.

Joannah said...

Wow! That's quite a production!!! We have an artificial tree, too. Actually, I have two, but we'll just put one up. I had a real one fall over one year. The artificial ones are more stable, and I don't have to worry about them drying out.

We're going to decorate today. This will be the first year I don't have to do it by myself. Last year, Michael was on the road.

Anonymous said...

It is a huge job to trim the tree. I always had to do it by myself. Lulu will be a big help. Can't wait to see it decorated. Good job DH/SIL.
xxoo Lilly

Sandy said...

Wow, you have that down to a science. I bet it will be beautiful! I also bet that was a mess when the cat took it down.