Monday, October 20, 2008

Decisions

Traditionally we start our new project in January- after all of the Christmas entertaining. Usually we are sure which room comes next, but we are undecided. We need to choose now so that we can plan and line up supplies before the kick off. There are 3 rooms left on the main floor: the dining room, den or man cave, and the kitchen. I have ruled out the kitchen because I am not ready to give up my kitchen (such as it is....) and that will be the most expensive room to redo. So dining room or man cave??


Dining room:

1. We don't spend much time in there. But, since there is now a table in there we have been eating dinner (by candle light) this week. We also use it during holidays. The big tree goes in there during Christmas.

2. Popcorn ceiling must go.

3. Water damage under one window and surrounding floor.




4. Old Player Piano has sunk into the floor. One back leg is visible in the basement. The piano is in a nook -a tight fit- it is going to take some work to get it out (which is why it was left in the house by the former owners!


5. Electricity needs rewiring.

6. To strip or not strip the fireplace. Also, to open sealed fireplace like we did in the parlor or leave it closed. This is one of the two fireplaces that still have the original tile. It is lime green with a burgundy accent. (Those colors are not negotiable- I must use them)

7. The room is dark in spite of the 2 huge windows. I would like to lighten it up with white panels on the lower half of the walls and lighten up the burgundy on the top.
8. Wallpaper boarder must go, crown moulding to match the parlor and picture moulding needs to be added.

9. I hate the enormous framed tapestry that came with the house. DH likes it.

10. We think that the original plaster walls may be under sheet rock (sloppy job) which means much demolition because the plaster will fall down when we remove the sheet rock. The only good thing about this is that we will put insulation in the walls.

11. DH has already stripped and refinished one side of the pocket doors, so the other side needs to be done.


Man Cave:

1. We use this room daily. The TV is in here. It would be nice for it to be pretty to look at.

2. Large windows make it hard to watch TV. So we would like window treatments to open or close easily.



3. Ceiling is water damaged from upstairs bathroom flood.



4. Plaster walls ,water damaged, no insulation, paint pealing.

5.Would like built in bookcases.

6. Would like built in bar area.

7. Would like TV built in/ replaced with flat screen + storage for entertainment clutter.

8. Open, strip, refinish, tile, electric insert in fireplace.
9. Has an outside entrance that needs work. Door is crooked, needs refinishing, transom window is cracked.

10. Electricity needs to be rewired

11. Has an awkward closet- I think it could become a computer desk- DH is not seeing that vision!

So - both projects look like a lot of work- I guess we have some thinking to do!

5 comments:

Nevis said...

I vote for the Man cave since it's something that you seem to get more use out of. And you can then eat in there when you're working on the dining room next year. :)

Anonymous said...

I agree with Nevis. You will soon put up your huge Cristmas tree and besides that, DH deserves his Man Cave. He has worked so hard this summer with the pool, maybe just a rest until after the New Year. By then, you will know what you want to do. Is the water still an issue in the Man Cave? What you have done thus far is wonderful. Maybe you will have to slow down.
xxoo Lilly

Sandy said...

Wow, both are a lot of work. I think man cave would be great so you can enjoy it while doing the rest of whatever needs to be done. How tall are the ceilings in those rooms? When I saw the picture of the tapestry, it looks like the ceiling is 14 feet! Thank you so much for the sweet pug decoration!!! I am going to let Julie know that I have one for her and I'll get it to her next time we get together. It is just so very cute. You are so talented!

kristie said...

i vote for the mancave too...mainly cause you spend so much time in there. plus didnt' you just do the formal living room? so save the formal dining room for the next NEXT time.

Anonymous said...

Lynn, that's funny and sad about the piano. I can't help but laugh about the leg coming the basement ceiling, but I hate to think of y'all - the guys and guy friends, not you - trying to get it out of the niche. How can anybody get any leverage?!

Add another vote for the man cave. Something you can enjoy and relax in after it's done.