Monday, April 7, 2008

Accidental Collections and Boxes


Jayne at Country Cottage Chic wrote about her "accidental" terrier collection which got me thinking about some of my "accidental" collections. These are treasures that seem to find you and gather at your home! Things that you never set out to collect, but one by one they arrive until you have a collection. I have many of those! One of my favorites is vintage kitchenware in shades of light green. I include jadeite and things with green handles and linens. There are two reasons that I didn't plan on collecting these things - first - I'm not a cook and - second- I never really liked green! But, life changes you...... and the next thing you know ...you've moved into a hundred year old house with a green kitchen. And to my surprise, I Love the color! To be honest when I first saw the kitchen I thought that I would quickly paint over it. The kitchen needs a lot more than paint so we put that on the back burner. Then I began to find a lonely piece of jadeite at thrift stores or my Mom gave me a cookie cutter with a green handle. And there was the time a box of green linen tablecloths called my name at an estate sale....I began to notice a trend. And it grew....

These little jello molds just joined the crowd. My aunt in FL sent them by way of my cousin last week. Thanks, Marge!



Isn't it fun to come home and find a box on your porch? I did today. My cousin from NY sent me a treasure box of things that belonged to Mom's sister. She knew that I would love these things and I do! Three needlepoint books and a box of patterns from Woman's Day 1961, bunches of crochet and knitting needles and a half finished quilt - which is just perfect to go up in my guest room! She also reminded me of her invitation to come visit ....I'm working on that....I'd love to go...just have to convince Southern Boy DH to go past the Mason-Dixon Line!!

9 comments:

kristie said...

i love that nook with the jadite in your kitchen.

Magnolia Street Style said...

I just found your blog thru Gerry. Your jadite collection is so different, it's great. I also live in an old house that was built in 1935. In the past 10 years we have rebuilt it from the outside in. But I love the untold stories that a newer house would never have. I enjoy your blog and will visit often.

Connie

Linda said...

I love green. What a neat little kitchen nook with all the pretty jadite....I especially like the nesting chicken:). Linda

Anonymous said...

You must have loved the jello molds you received from your aunt and the box from your cousin. Wow, what a treat. I love the way you have your collection of jadite on those little shelves. The quilt from your cousin is very pretty. I am sure your DH would find the trip north a very enjoyable one and it sounds like they really want you to come. GO !
XXOO Lilly

Nevis said...

Ooo...I love the jadite collection!

Mary said...

Hi Lynn,
I totally know what you mean about collections just finding you! Love your jadeite, and all the green!
xoxo,
Mary

Country Cottage Chic said...

It's lovely to see your "accidental" collection too - the green kitchenware is fabulous.

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Hi! I was visiting over at little red house, saw your blog and stopped in for a visit! I enjoyed the tour of houses so much! I live in NC and your town looked a lot like our little southern town. You did an excellent job taking the pictures, which amazes me since I am still learning! LOL! My pics just don't come across like I would like them to! You have a beautiful home and some amazing collections! So glad I found your blog. Hope you don't mind that I'm adding you to my roster of favorites, so I can check back and see what pretties you have posted! Enjoyed my visit! :) ~Rhonda

j said...

I love your jadeite collection, I have quite a few pieces myself and it automatically catches my eye!

My accidental collection is my poodles. I have several poodles of various size and color on top of my refridgerator. It all started with one poodle cookie jar and snowballed.

Jennifer