Wednesday, October 5, 2011
Thrifty Thursday - Three Thrifty Pumpkins
I really do not need anymore Halloween or Fall decorations at the Swamp. I have boxes that I don't have room for (but can't quite get rid of!). I do need "Craft Therapy" so I made 3 different pumpkins for very little $$$$.
The first one is my Dictionary Pumpkin. It is a Dollar Tree carvable pumpkin -$1. I sprayed it white but was not happy with the line around the middle that stuck out. So I covered it in paper towel paper mache. I also cut out the stem and stuck in a branch.
Then I covered it with torn pieces of dictionary pages and Mod Podge. I used 3 entries from an old picture dictionary- owl, jack-o-lantern, and witch.
I used a pipe cleaner and some floral ivy leaves to make the vine. In the end - it just didn't look grungy enough so I dabbed on some antiquing glaze over everything -even the pipe cleaner.
Next is the old book pumpkin. I saw these first last year at the Country Living Fair in Atlanta. There have been a few in Blogland lately that reminded me I wanted to make one. I did not have to spend any money at all for this project- everything was around the house.
I took an old Reader's Digest Condensed Book off the shelf. Removed the cover and any pages with color. Folded each page (573 of them!) in half. Used a glue gun to join the spine in a circle. Added felt eyes and mouth, ribbon stem and bow. DONE!

The last pumpkin is made just like #1 except I covered it with toile tissue paper from Hobby Lobby!
I didn't put the glaze on this one.
So my total for all three projects was $4. I love thrifty decorating! Join with me at Leigh's place for more great ideas tonight!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
these are great! I like the red toile one a lot. I think you could leave it out thru Valentines!
The pumpkins and the book idea are super. I love them all. So very clever. Did you see the toile covered pumpkins on the cover of CL ?
I am not going to put up drapes in the DR. I am going to live with it like this and decide later. I will buy my wall paint tomorrow and That is all I will have to do. I have taped out part of the room. I do Love, Love your decorations !!! :)
xxoo Lil
Loving all of the decorations and I really like the collage of the little girl picture in the previous post. Glad you rescued her.
Post a Comment