What could be thriftier that shopping at your Mom's house and bringing home some of her treasures? Mom has always loved junk and antiques. She has also always taken good care of her things, so most of her treasure is in great shape...even the stuff rescued from her basement is good!

This new
mantlescape has several of her treasures that have moved into our house!

The big tray was a wedding gift in 1951. The English tin was in the basement, a souvenir from the Royal Coronation in 1953. I was a souvenir from England as well- Dad was stationed there in the Air Force!

When I was growing up Mom always lined a window sill with brightly colored goblets.

These are newer thrift store finds, an English tin bank with a Bobby and a tiny bird house.

I lined the bottom of the cage with a piece of the want ads.

This week we got a package from Great Britain! One our
ebay buyers was faced with a high postage bill on a purchase so the Hubby made a deal with him- he paid a portion of the postage if the buyer would send me a souvenir from the Royal Wedding. He sent some flags, a calendar and my favorite- Will and Kate tea bags!
5 comments:
Love your mantelscape. Also love the items one of your customers sent you. Your cousin just called and things are going really well in Lkpt. I am glad about that. Really hot here so I am staying in.
XXOO Lil
Your mantel looks great. Love all the sentimental pieces, as well as the new finds and gifts from England. My mother would love it too. Should send her a pix. luv from lkpt
Your mantle looks great...we visited London several years ago and loved it! You are so lucky that your mom was a junker and she lets you shop in her home! My grandmother was like that! Thanx for sharing and Happy Memorial Day! Tiff
I think your husband made a good choice with the postage swap. How fun to get a mystery box of the Royal wedding memorabilia - cute things.
Isn't is funny what you remember from your childhood? I can see why a sunny windowsill lined with colorful glasses is a sweet memory.
Love the little birdcage.
Rhonda
What interesting things to find at your mom's house! I love how you have created this mantle design with the finds. Those red glasses intrigue me as does the beautiful tray. Gorgeous stuff!
Tammy
Post a Comment