
This week I am showing off a thrifty project that has taken a
loooonnnggg time for me to finish! It started years ago when I saw some plate collages on blogs. I started gathering random plates from yard sales and thrift stores. At that time I did not even know where I would hang it. So I had way too many plates...just in case I needed a certain color or size....and because I have a plate addiction...

I played with arrangements on the floor for weeks after I knew it was going in the dining room.
It started out too big and I knew it would be too heavy to hang. So I had to cut down the number of plates.

I came up with the design I liked best and arranged it on a piece of 1/4 " plywood. I traced around the outside of the plates and had my Hubby cut it out. I had him also cut out some dowels of various heights to elevate the smaller plates.

I painted the plywood the wall color and screwed the dowels on the plywood in the correct places. Next I used Liquid Nail adhesive to glue the plates in place. I did not glue the top platter or the bottom plate because we screwed the plywood to the wall on a stud behind those plates.

The cans of food held everything in place for 24 hours to dry. After we hung it on the wall I glued the last two plates in place and propped a ladder under the bottom plate for another 24 hours. The top plate rested on 2 of the dowels so it was held in place to dry.

This will not be coming down anytime soon because we would have to break the plates to get it down!!! It's a good thing I am so happy with it!

I'm going to the Thrifty Thursday Party at
Bloggeritaville to see what other ideas I can steal!
9 comments:
I love what you did with the plates. I have a "thing" for plates, too.
Very clever...love it and have never seen anything like this before (I am sure we will be seeing it everywhere from now on!!)
How clever to paint the plywood base the same as your wall. It is a great display and I know you are pleased. I like the color of your walls more and more and with what you are doing to enhance the walls, they are looking gooooood. Isn't it fun to "play" with stuff ?
xxoo lil
Lynn, I love that! I would never have had the courage to do it. But it looks fantastic! Can't wait to see the dining room. Looks like it's 'bout done.
You did an incredible job on this.
Thanks for linking your beautiful creation to Treasure Hunt Thursday.
Have a wonderful weekend.
Rhonda
Wowzer! That is really beautiful
that is absolutely amazing! Where do you get your ideas! Love it!! luv from lkpt
Oh that would look so nice in my kitchen!
Great job!
smiles,
The Joyful Thrifter
I've never seen a plate collage like this before. This is such a cool idea. And you know since you were so kind as to visit my blog, that I, too, have a thing for plates. Thanks for sharing this way cool idea!
Tammy
Post a Comment