
Welcome to Thrifty Thursday hosted by
Leigh! This is my Thrift Store "Fabric" Edition. Years ago I was just learning to love
thrifting and I was also learning to work on costumes for the Victorian Porch Tour. My friend, who was the costume chairperson, taught me to shop for fabric at thrift stores. You can get great, expensive and vintage fabric by looking through the cloths and linens! Last week I bought these 3 things with ulterior motives-

An apron and a towel (new) that has
mis/monograms on them and a linen skirt. I was going to use the apron for a pattern but the monogram was easy to pick out so I did. I
remonogrammed my own initials and added some ribbon to make it my own. Total cost $3.99

Same with this wrap around towel. Cost $4.99 I'll use it as a swim suit cover-up this year. It already has the cute zebra ribbon and the elastic and
Velcro top. I just had to redo the monogram. At first I was going to cut it off - it is very hard to take the monogram off terrycloth! But it came off .....eventually!

I got a remnant of burlap that I used to make this pillow. It has ribbons woven into the fabric where I pulled out threads! Look at this post by
The Country Chic Cottage to see how it is done!


I've been so inspired to make pillows by Rhonda of
Blue Creek Home lately. She has a giveaway going on right now! I noticed that she used a stencil that I had on one of her pillows. I just needed some linen. Have you priced it in fabric stores? $21.99 a yard!!!! Not Thrifty!!! So the third thing I bought at the thrift store was a $.50 linen skirt!!! It was a wrap skirt so I got at least a yard. Always look at the larger size skirts and dresses to get the most fabric for your $$$.

I paired the linen with some black and white check I had. Wish I had taken a picture of the back! I used the hem of the skirt, overlapped the back pieces and used the buttons that were on the skirt to close the pillow! Nothing goes to waste!
6 comments:
Great projects. I love the pillows you made. I usually don't look at the clothes at thrift stores (except the wool sweaters for felting)....you made me rethink my shopping!
Jane
Oh no...you have started a pillow "sweat shop" at your house too!!
I can't believe you have that same tiny stencil...isn't it the cutest?
And I love the clock/button pillow.
We will eventually run into each other at a thrift shop looking for fabulous clothes to repurpose!!
Great job on the monogram projects too.
Thanks for the mention.
Rhonda
GORGEOUS pillows...and apron and wrap. You are so talented!!!
Give my love to the little one. As well as the other babies too.
Leigh
Tales from Bloggeritaville
www.lbratina.blogspot.com
The pillows look so nice in the guest room. Love the stencils on the pillows. Can't decide which is my favorite. Also love the apron and beach cover-up. You are one mighty talented gal. Your cousin, Bon, will be here Sunday night. She will get to see these cuties.
xxoo Lil
Those pillows look fab!! I'm going to have to keep an eye out for linen clothing at the thrifts so I can try this for myself!! Thanks for sharing.
terrific post...and nothing looks thriftyville at all!!
Post a Comment