Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Victorian Front Porch Tour

Many years ago my new husband and I stood on a corner in front of a shabby Victorian house. We had a blended family with 4 children and a baby on the way. We dreamed of living in one of these big old homes where we could have more room for our growing family. It was December and the city was walking through the neighborhood enjoying the Victorian Front Porch Tour. The historic homes were decorated with Santas, elves, angels, and Victorian people. It was magic!!!
By the time that "baby" started Kindergarten we lived in that house and were in the process of restoring it! We are still in the process....the "baby" is now 13. We will never be done, but it is a work of love!
The Porch Tour is 17 years old. It started when my former neighbor, artist Jan Jones, had some life sized paper mache Santas that were not being used that Christmas. She and some of the other neighbors decided to sit up some displays on a few porches for the city to enjoy. It grew every year!
The porches are lit up each night for a driving tour starting Wednesday, December 9th. On Saturday the streets are closed at 5:30 to traffic so that people can stroll on the streets, enjoy entertainment on many of the porches and get a closer look at the displays. Many of the neighbors dress up in Victorian costumes to greet the guests. And it is free! It is Opelika's gift to the community. Here are a few pictures from last year!



6 comments:

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Oh, how I long to be there....but it looks as though its not gonna happen this year either. WE have a cheerleading banquet this week. We are hosting the wrestling tourney on Saturday so Friday we have to volunteer to set up. Tomorrow night (Wed) my husband has poker. Shoot!
One day, promise. I am going to be mailing you something sometime. Sorry it has taken me so long. Hopefully I'll get around to sending it soon.
Looks like a wonderful celebration!

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

Oh, I would love to be strolling around your neighborhood...what a great story and a wonderful seasonal gift to your community...All you need is some NY SNOW to really liven things up!

Pam said...

That is so neat! I love how everyone came together to allow a tour like that. Your home is so pretty and you all are just doing a wonerful job with restoration. I love seeing all your projects.

Marie said...

How cool! That sounds like so much fun.

Rachel said...

That looks amazing! I want to experience something like that...

chalica pack said...

What a great post! Thanks for sharing that personal story. And I love all your decorations!