Monday, March 30, 2009

Snip-It!!

I took a class on how to make this nifty little gadget last week! It is a pin cushion and trash bag to sit next to your sewing machine! I always put my pins in my mouth as I sew (BAD-I know!) and drop my threads on the floor. This solves both problems. It was easy to make! I sent one to my "Take Time to Relax" swap partner because she likes to sew. Most of the time I find sewing relaxing! So here are the directions:


You need: (You will have enough to make 2)


3/8 yard fabric for outer bag

3/8 yard fabric for lining

1 yard thin boning

sand or rice (we used desert sand from Lowes garden area)




Directions:


1. Cut:

rectangle 17.5" X 10" of outer fabric and same of lining for bag
rectangle 6.5" X 8.5" of outer fabric and same of lining for pin cushion

rectangle 4" X 6" of one fabric for strap
(Since I already made one from this fabric -I found that I did not have a big enough piece for the outer pin cushion so I had to make a seam and sew two pieces together to get a 6.5 X 8.5". Then I used a piece of muslin to make the lining piece.)



2. Fold strap and sew seam (sew with 1/4" seam) -Leave ends open. Turn right side out.


3. Stack pin cushion fabrics (2 layers to keep sand from leaking) . Center strap on 6.5" side of right side of fabric.

Fold. Sew through all layers on 2 sides. Leave end open.




Turn right side out.

4. With outer fabric for bag- Fold and sew seam in side and bottom. Leave top open.

OK- the next part is a little tricky! Make square corners by sewing across the corners of the bottom of the bag -2 inches from corners (see pictures)




5. Repeat #4 with bag lining fabric, except leave a 3 inch hole in the side seam to be able to turn the bag.



6. Center strap on seam of right side of outer bag.
7. Put lining (right sides together) inside outer bag. Match seams. Sew around the top. Pull outer fabric through hole in lining to turn right side out.


8. Sew along the top edge of bag. Sew a second line 1/2" down to make casing for boning. Leave a 1" hole to thread boning through. Cut boning 18". Use hole in lining to put boning between outer bag and lining. Thread boning in casing. It will overlap itself. Sew 1" hole closed.


9. Fill pinchusion with sand. Hand sew opening.

10. Hand sew opening in lining.

DONE!!

5 comments:

Mrs.D said...

Very crafty!

Denise said...

Hey, what a neat itme! Love it!

Have a great day, Denise

Pam said...

great tutorial! I love it. When I get together with friends to sew, I'm always the first one to start rigging up some sort of trash bag near my machine.

Punchbugpug said...

Very cool indeed. I do the same "pin in mouth thing". I always worry what would happen if I SWALLOWED one!

Amanda said...

And I must say, they're VERY handy!