Sunday, March 22, 2009

Back in the Backyard

The weather was beautiful this weekend! We spent every moment out in the backyard. The Dining Room Project took the backseat so we could make the most of the sunny days!Last summer we ran out of energy and time on the pool landscape - so we put hay on this hill and left it for one of this year's outside projects.
Two trips to Home Depot, 224 cement retaining wall blocks, and 2 days hard labor. Each block weighs 22 pounds! I am really sore tonight - but we have a wall!

The hardest part was laying the base row level , a job for DH. The youngest boy, his friend and I unloaded the blocks. After that the wall went up pretty fast...until we ran out of blocks.

Blue rug juniper ready to be planted on the hill. Today, after church, we went back for more blocks. We finished the wall and put down landscape fabric. I'll take a picture of the finished wall when we plant the junipers.
This week I finished a sewing project for the backyard. The patio swing got a face lift. Here is the before picture of the canopy....

Pretty bad, huh? Well ...after 10 years outside....pierced by tree limbs...covered with sap, pollen....faded by the sun...
The cushions had been slip covered once, they don't look so bad- but I could not find any green outdoor fabric to match them.
And here is the after... I'm happy with it now...but I know it will show more dirt than the floral print did!


The canopy was much harder to get to fit the frame than I thought it would be. It needed to be tight and I made it too tight. I had to add some extra pieces to get it to fit. I hope it lasts a while because I think that we will have to just get a new swing next time!!!

The peach trees are blossoming. Last year we had a late cold snap and only had 1 peach! We did build a raised garden bed behind the pool last fall - so the tomato and pepper plants went in today! Not sure yet what else will go in there- summer squash and maybe some okra!


5 comments:

lucky to be me said...

The swing looks fab! Only you could make it look brand new! I bet you are in the tub soaking those sore muscles!

Mrs.D said...

You all did a lot of work for one weekend! The swing looks great, I like the new color.

Pam said...

That swing looks fabulous and very inviting. Wow, you really accomplished a lot this weekend.

Denise said...

Everything looks really nice! You did a great job on the swing.

Havea nice day, Denise

Sandy said...

Everything looks so NICE. You did a great job on the swing. That juniper will be so pretty when it spreads out...and thick!