Saturday, July 19, 2008

Beach Vacation

We had a wonderful vacation at Orange Beach, AL. We've been coming here since youngest son was 1. He took his first steps here. We had all of the kids the first year. As they have grown up, our group of 7 has gone down to 3! The weather was beautiful, even the afternoon thunderstorms are pretty at the beach! We love the balcony views!
We spent our days swimming, biking, running, reading, painting, walking, sewing, shopping and eating! We did spend part of each day at the beach, but the jellyfish were bad most days, so we spent more time at the pool.
Each morning I got up at 6:30 for a beach walk. I spent about an hour looking for shells and taking pictures. Two mornings a heron posed for me. He didn't mind how close I got. Then I would come back, fix breakfast and paint out on the balcony until the boys woke up. It was so relaxing! I painted 5 beach paintings and son painted one. I also had a yo-yo quilt to work on in the peaceful morning.
We ate great seafood and got to take Son #2's Girlfriend out to dinner one night. She is doing an internship at The Wharf. One of the best dinners we had was a picnic at sunset on the beach. We will do that again! We did the "beachy" things at night: putt-putt, crab hunting, night swim, souvenir shopping, arcade, and ice cream.
And a trip to the beach would not be complete for me without a shopping day or two! DH calls Old Time Pottery -"The Mother Ship" because it calls to me! I love a bargain! This year it was Fiesta dinnerware -so cheap, so many bright and cheerful colors, so much temptation....and I gave in!
Orange and blue for Auburn football weekends. And look at that cute quilted table runner and matching napkins!
Red and green for Christmas! They had so much and as always- I wish I bought more! We also got some great deals on teracotta pots, a market umbrella and a cast iron stand. I didn't buy them at first because I was afraid they would break coming home. DH went back with me to look at them and HE (who does not like to go in that store!) ended up with 3 buggies full of bargains! We didn't realize how cheap the pots were until we looked back over the receipt in the car. If we had realized that the pots (we had priced at $13 each here in town) were only $1.79 - then there would have been 5 buggies full!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! Now those are lovely bargains. Youngest Son is getting so big. The blue herron in quite the majestic bird. Love all your beach pictures. You make the most of a vacation. Hope you show your paintings.
XXOO Lilly

Linda said...

What a beautiful place for a vacation. I would have loved to have been on your morning walks...a beautiful way to start the day. The picture of the herron is amazing...and I hope you'll share your paintings.

You found great bargains...love Fiesta. My SIL just bought some and I was thinking I'd like some too, brings back happy childhood memories.

Welcome to your sweet Lulu..she ia a sweetie..hugs, Linda

Anonymous said...

little boy on the beach is my favorite picture. love from lkpt

j said...

Love Old Time Pottery! It used to be a MUST stop location for me too. There is a location in Pelham Al too, if that is any closer for you.

Glad that you all had a good time.

Jen

Nevis said...

First of all, looks like you had a wonderful, wonderful time. How long did it take you to drive to Orange Beach from Opelika? Looks gorgeous! I'll have to check it out sometime for a long weekend. I do miss the beach!

Sandy said...

I love seeing your beach vacation pictures. Our parents took us to the beach every year from Orange beach/Gulf Shores to Panama City over the years. We have the best memories from those times. That Old Time Pottery has such good prices.