Does anyone know what these are? They suddenly shoot up in July every year, bloom and die all in a 2 week period. They were out in the yard and some years got mowed down before they were seen. Last year we dug them up and moved them to the patio and forgot about them! They are such a surprise every year and I love them, but I don't know what they are!

8 comments:
well they look like daylilies but don't sound like them from your description!
Your reader "luv from Lkpt" has her Master Gardener" certificate. Maybe she will let you know.
xxooLilly
I'm pretty sure they are "surprise lilies"
real funny, Lil. They probably are in the lily family. They could be a wild flower variety. Wild flowers don't seem to bloom very long and the fact that they came up even after being mowed down in the past shows that they're hardy and could also indicate they may be invasive. Were they bulbs/corms you dug up? Do you like the leaves even after the flowers are done blooming? These are questions you have to ask yourself. You do have different vegetation south of the Mason Dixon line and it's all I can do to try to figure out what stuff is up north. Never fear, however, I will look it up! But you must have a southern reader who will know. So I'll be checking back here to see, just in case. love from lkpt
I agree with girlville, at least that's what mine look like.
In Oklahoma they are called "naked ladies". LOL I don't think that is the real name.
I have no idea what they're called...but I what girlville says sounds framiliar ("Daylillies") of some variety. I think we've got some in our yard, too. And some hollyhocks, too. Neither did I plant. I was shocked when they grew in. Funny, huh?
Apparently most daylillies only bloom for a couple of weeks. There are hybrids now that will bloom all summer. I couldn't fine your pink lily in my books. love from lkpt
Post a Comment