Sunday, March 4, 2012
Copycat
Recently I have been inspired to relive my early 70's college life and make a terrarium....or 2 ...or 4! I first made a terrarium my senior year in Elementary Education at UNC. A group of students and a GTA went out into the wild around Chapel Hill, NC to hunt and gather plants, moss, rocks and sticks. We then made pickle jar terrariums (for a grade) to take to our classes during our internships. Unfortunately we did not recognize poison ivy and the whole class (except a lucky 2) came home from the woods covered in it! I was LUCKY that day! I have since taken an online course on recognizing poison ivy and scored a 98%!
I began to notice terrariums everywhere- "Better Homes and Gardens", Pinterest, "Lowe's Creative Ideas" and the Cranky Queen's Blog! At Lowe's they were priced $3o ready made. I knew I could beat that price. But after purchasing a few supplies I found that I was quickly reaching that total? So what to do ????... make more than one!
I found containers at thrift stores and garage sales. I pulled out some stands from my stash along with some small watering cans, Tinkerbell and clay pots. I dug moss and some ferns from the yard. But I still spent money on gravel/sand, charcoal, potting soil, plants and rocks. Yes- I bought rocks- the rocks in my yard were ugly and I wanted some with a little color!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Loved the Tinker Bell Terrarium. Thanx for mentioning my blog! They all look great! Tiff
Those are so cute. I think you will do well with those at your booth.
i like those a lot! could you give a better tutorial on exactly how you made them? or point me in the right direction. thx!
I never had luck with these - no green thumb here! Love your clock table, too. I made one similar and sold it (wish I didn't) and it wa sfun to do!
Love these. Also love all your nice stands. Tinkerbell is cute.
Will check out Cranky Queen.
xxooLil
Post a Comment