Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Thrifty Thursday -Opposites Attract and a Craft

They say opposites attract -must be true for the Hubby and me! Above you see his selections from the yard sales this weekend- silverplate ...shiny!!! And below you can see mine -white, pastel, matte...

We can shop at the same table but rarely would we pick up the same items!! And of all of our purchases, guess which is my keeper?????



I hope this duck does not sell....Maybe I'll hide him and he will never get listed!


Now on to my Mom's Birthday Craft....


I saw this idea back in May on Mamie Jane's and filed it away in my brain. As luck would have it - I soon had a couple pieces of silverplate that got "over polished" and needed an extreme makeover! They were headed to ebay and my Hubby polished them so hard that the silverplate started to peel. He was so disappointed that he had wasted them...but I was delighted! I started









out with these for my Mom's Birthday gift......



..Then I got the idea that I wanted to make one for my SIL, too. So I gathered these supplies...And then I wanted to make one for myself as well.... I spray painted the silverplate trays. Then lightly sanded to let the silver peak through. Used Modge Podge to glue on the pictures and Tacky glue to attach the tatting and shells and bows and Mickey ears.....And here they are!

I will be linking to Leigh's Thrifty Thursday and Rhonda's Treasure Hunt. I really look forward to these 2 parties every week!!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Lynn, glad to see you back in blogland. Missed ya! Love what you did with the old silverplate. Mamie Jane's is one of my favs too! Gotta come check out the Pickle Patch Market opening July 30th in Sylacauga. Wanda and I both have booths! Way too excited! How is the Ebay store going? Tiffany

Sandy said...

that was fun to see the different looks that you and your husband like. I love the crafts you made. I never would have known you could paint that silverplate.

Wanda @ Just Vintage said...

The plates turned out great!
And I guessed right. I knew you'd want to keep the duck. Too cute!

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

Love how you painted the tray - and love the milk glass that you found. Tell your husband to try this next time, rathing than polishing:

Basically you just pour in hot water and 4 tablespoons of Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda - for every gallon of hot water in a sink lined with aluminum foil. Then set your sterling silver in the water on the foil and a chemical reaction happens. Within about 5 minutes or so, you have a clean silver product without the hard work.

Jane said...

Hi Lynn,
Thanks for the shout out! I'm so glad you gave this a try. Your gifts turned out great and I love the added embellishments.
So....how did your Mom and SIL like them??
You'll have to let me know.
Jane

Pamela said...

What great idea! Just wanted to stop by and invite you to Treasure Hunt Thursday formerly over at Blue Creek Home. Rhonda has passed it on to me and I would be honored for you to join us!:) Party starts at 8 pm central tonight!:)