Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Thrifting in NC for Easter Weekend

We hit the road last weekend for a trip to NC to visit my family. This is Lilly...my Mom is her slave. I took a few pictures of some of Mom's vignettes.

Laundry room- I have always been afraid of the Chinese sprinkler...


Great Room..



Dining Room....


Kitchen...

More Great Room....

We ate,visited, ate more, yard saled and thrifted all weekend!!! One of the most interesting places we went was the Goodwill Outlet in Winston-Salem. It was a whole new experience for us! It was huge and filled with waist level bins of Goodwill rejects. You just had to dig! Then you put your buggy on the scales and paid for your treasure by the pound! When they brought out a new bin the crowds would descend on it and it was "every man for himself"!!! That's when we drew the line!!



But, we had a good time and ended up stopping at another one on the way home in Greenville, SC. That one was more expensive - I think it was $1.19 a pound... This is something I thought was interesting so I tossed it in my buggy.. When we got home I researched and found that it was a Dansk peppermill and salt shaker. We put it on ebay and quickly got a GOOD offer to "Buy it Now" !

I think this tiny girl is so sweet and she is marked Occupied Japan. She was at the bottom of a bin- perfect - no chips. She also has gone to ebay!

These were in the bottom of a bin, too. They are English Mudlen End pottery cottages.

And here is Andy, all 34 inches of him! He is handmade with great embroidery on his face. I hope he finds a good home!

This old humidor came from a yard sale. I thought it was worth $10 for makeover. Mom thought I paid too much. My hubby said the couple were arguing after I put it in the car because she wanted to sell it for $50. I would not think of paying that much in the condition it is in!


The copper lined shelf is to keep the cigars fresh.

Finally I will leave you with a picture of Skinny- the other cat that owns my Mom! I'm going to visit Leigh at Bloggeritaville for Thrifty Thursday....as long as we have electricity....the weather tonight is horrible and Alabama has suffered a lot today. Please keep the families that have lost so much in your prayers!

6 comments:

Sandy said...

Your mom has some treasures at her house! Love those cats, too. I like seeing your "finds."

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

Great finds...I also have a humidor with copper lined cupboard and I love it...Many were made in New England...you should research it! Love that 1st cat - looks as if she eats a healthy meal!!

Pam Kessler said...

That little girl is sort of cute. A little funky, but I tend to like funky.

Unknown said...

Lynn, I think your Mamma needs to rename the calico cat "fat cat" lol...that is the "chubbiest" cat I have ever seen...what a cutey pie!
Love the occupied japan little girl...I can see where you get a lot of your decorating flair...from your Mamma! I have a friend that collects laundry starch sprinklers...she would love the chinese one...Glad yall had a great Easter...I'm having another Giveaway, so head on over to the Cranky Queen if you have not already entered for the Mother's Day Celebration Giveaway! Tiff

Wanda @ Just Vintage said...

I love that Mom stays current and interested in her decor. She has some great stuff!

Please tell me you didn't take the offer. With something like that, especially if you didn't put a BIN price on it, somebody's gonna jump in there and low ball you. Whatever the offer was, it was bound to go higher. Very often MUCH higher. That was a good shaker. Always look for Dansk shakers. There's even a book out especially for them now. Some are pretty blah, but anything unusual can bring really big bucks. But this is how you learn. And I'm sure you were delighted to get the offer. Just don't do it again, Missy. ;-)

Lynda@CMsThriftyGems said...

OMG that cat is flipping cute! I love that damask mat around the keep calm sign.