Monday, September 20, 2010

Fall Cleaning?

Before we moved into our house I would drive through the neighborhood and covet the porches. I wanted a big old Southern porch with white rockers, plants and a swing! Please don't get me wrong...I Love my porch...but, here is the dirty truth: I can not keep it clean! In the Spring there is the pollen and in the Fall there are the leaves.....and in between there is the mold and DIRT! The maintenance of an older home is unreal! Just look at these window sills-

And the porch railing............

So this weekend we moved all of the clutter off to the side of the house (hoping no one would think it was a yard sale) and we got out the most wonderful power machine we own- the power washer.

Here is my favorite guy going to town on the ceiling. We knew there would be paint loss, but it was time to repaint anyway!

Here it is with a bright, new coat of paint!


We have not painted these yet- they are so much cleaner!!!

Out came some wreaths made from Dollar Tree supplies and ribbon bought last year on sale!

I also spray painted the milk can this weekend. I think I may paint our house number on it!

It makes me smile to go sit on the porch now! I wish I could use the power washer inside the house!

5 comments:

Pam said...

It looks wonderful!! I had a porch at our old house, and had teh same issue with the pollen and mold. ugh...whata job to keep that clean. But even with all that, I miss my porch! =(

Lilly said...

What a difference it makes. I have a small power washer but it really takes a MAN to do that job. I love your wreaths. Love the ribbon. House numbers on the milk can would look so nice. Hope all is well. Was good to see all the birthday greetings for son #3 on FB. His card is on the way. Nice weather here but a huge lack of ambition. xxoo lilly

Blue Creek Home said...

I love your freshly painted porch ceiling!! What a job.
Living in a beautiful house like that is worth is though...isn't it?

Rhonda

Wanda @ Just Vintage said...

Love that you went with the blue ceiling tradition.
I was the same as you. I always wanted the porch too, but have rarely sat on ours. And I'm sure ours looks much the same as yours did. Don't think I really want to know.
Congratulations on baby girl! How sweet that the girl is having a girl.

Jen T said...

That is a gorgeous porch and your house numbers on the milk can would be perfect.