Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Thrifty Thursday

This Thursday I am showing off my very thrifty fabric flower necklaces! My total investment is about $1 per necklace!

I wrote here about these dresses I have made out of thrift store tank tops and fabric scraps. The next step has been to accessorize the dresses with these bib necklaces that I have seen around the Blog World!

This dress is made from a $1.99 tank top and the denim from one of my old teacher jumpers! The necklace is also from the denim scraps!

This necklace is a burlap-type loose weave fabric.

And these flowers are from some organza scraps.

AM should recognize this fabric- it was left over from Emma's pants!
Here are some quick directions for the organza flowers:
Cut out flower shapes- 4 larger and 4 smaller. Singe the edges of the shapes with a candle flame. This will keep the edges from fraying and curl the petals slightly. Keep a bowl of water close by to put out any flames- I only got the petal too close once!

Stack all 8 shapes - alternate each one.

Tack with a few stitches in the middle.

Sew or glue gun on a button.
Arrange flowers in a V shape. Glue ribbon or cord on the flowers first. Cut a felt shape the cover the ribbon - but not too big - you don't want it to show from the front! Glue the flowers securely to the felt!
I have seen some that have beads, broaches and all kinds of bling added to the flowers- be creative!
These flowers were made from strips of fabric - twisted and glued in a rosette.
And these were made from torn strips of denim. I gathered one edge with my sewing machine and glued in a rosette. I cut more scraps in a fringed circle for the center and sewed on the pearls!
These may only hold up for the summer, but it's a really cheap way of dressing up these tank dresses or t shirts!
Be sure to check out other Thrifty ideas at Leigh's place this Thursday!

8 comments:

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

You did a great job on these...I like how you used different fabrics and textures so that they are all so different from each other - Well done!

Gracefully Vintage said...

How Cute- I love those necklaces- lately i have been trying to wear a necklace- to maybe bring some style to me outfits- seeing as mostly im in painting sweats- Those are adorable- and great thinking on the good will clothing- Im on a good will clothing kick right now too- lOve it all
WOuld love to follow you and see more of your creative eye-
Karryann

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

L!
Are you kidding me? You are amazing! WOW! What amazing transformations. You so need an Etsy store. I am going to share this on my Friday post with link love. WOW!
Thanks for linking up to Thrifty Thursday!
Leigh, Bloggeritaville
www.lbratina.blogspot.com

Laura said...

I'm so inspired! LOVE this project and hope to try my hand at it sometime soon - you make it sound so easy and fun! Thanks!

Pam said...

Those are too cute! very clever.

Goodboy Norman Featherstone said...

Those dresses are way cute. I think you could sew those flowers right onto the top and it would look cute too!

Amanda@Imperfectly Beautiful said...

Absolutely adorable!!! I LOVE your take on these necklaces....they are so chic.

~Amanda

AM said...

I LOVE seeing that fabric being used!!! Yeah! And those flowers seem possibly even easy enough for me to maybe make!