Sunday, May 23, 2010

Blackberry Time

This week I was working at the Victorian Porch Tour warehouse (Yes, we are already working on Christmas) when we noticed blackberry vines out the back door. Now the vines around our house have very few berries and most get eaten by animals. There were more berries on these vines than I have ever seen. Youngest Son loves them - I knew he would never believe there were so many! I picked a few to prove to him that they were not a figment of my imagination. After school we went to see them. In about 15 minutes we picked this salad bowl full! Enough to eat all he wanted and 4 cups to make a cobbler! He admitted he did not believe me when I told him how many were there! The vines were growing up in cracks in the pavement. It is a locked fenced parking lot. We could just sit in one place on the pavement and pick without even moving. I made a delicious cobbler using a recipe I found in a vintage cookbook I found at Goodwill last week "The Carter Family Cookbook" - President Carter that is! The cobbler did not last long- wish I had taken a picture before the boys got hold of it!

I'd love to go back and pick more. Do they freeze well?

2 comments:

Lilly said...

Yes, the berries do freeze well. Rinse and let dry. Put them in a freezer container with a little sweetener of your choice. Freeze. Same with strawberries. Yummmm
xxoo Lilly

Mrs.D said...

This reminds me of spending summers with my grandmother and picking blackberries in her back yard.

I agree with Lilly, they do freeze very well. But, I usually don't add sugar until I'm ready to cook the berries in something (like cobbler). They also make a great blueberry shortcake with homemade whipped cream!