Friday, November 20, 2009

A Little Crafty

Last weekend I went to a craft fair with some friends! It was a beautiful fall day and I was searching for some inspiration. Now I just need the time! One of the things that I saw was a t-shirt with a tree applique. It was very simple. I didn't copy it exactly, but it got my wheels turning. I headed to Hobby Lobby in search of some fabric and then to find some plain shirts. It turned out the shirts were the hardest to find! While at Hobby Lobby I ran into a sewing buddy who gave me another idea!


This tree is cut out of some Amy Butler fabric from my stash. I cut a smaller tree of fusing material and ironed it on. I stitched 1/4 inch in from the edge. Then I washed the shirt to fray the edge of the tree and added the vintage button at the top. The fusing material, "Heat-n-bond", will keep the tree from fraying too much when it is washed.
The next shirt is like the craft fair shirts. The tree is the same shape. This time I cut the "Heat-n-bond" the same size as the tree and ironed it on. I went around the tree with a blanket stitch by hand and added the button.
I hope this one does not fray as much when I wash it! I should have tried on the shirt before I sewed the tree on. It was a little snug- so I'm sending it on to my thinner daughter and I will have to make another one for me with a larger shirt!!

My next project will be to put up my nemesis.....the tree......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!





4 comments:

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

Your shirts came out great - love the frayed edges! And good luck with the tree...I've got one up and a few more to go (I know someone who has a "tree closet" and just rolls her trees in and out - all decorated!!)

Blue Creek Home said...

Is your house on the tour???
We have been here 5 years and have never been! We are going to try to come this year, but not sure if we can on Saturday night. We will be in Gadsden seeing out of state family that will be home for Thanksgiving. If we do make it, I will stop and say hi. E-mail me where you are so I can pay special attention if we come through on another night! How exciting!
Lovin' your shirts too.
Rhonda

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

CUTE.AS.PIE!

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Hey, I cannot find your post from last year about your hometown christmas tour. Can you send me the link?