Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Quick and Easy Trash to Treasure Table Runners

 I have let Valentine's Day sneak up on me.  It seems a waste of time to get out my decorations now, so I used what I could get to easily....and the bonus is...less to clean up and put away!
Somehow these camellias survived the freezing weather.  It was the only bush that the blooms did not turn brown.

I put out a few burlap hearts on my new table runner.

And that was enough!
I did spend some time working on a few table runners.  These are easy to whip up and have been selling in the booth this month.  I saw some on a junking trip a few weeks ago and have sold all that I made.   First I shopped my stash for some fabric:
 

I ended up making 3 runners in a couple of hours.  The French printed burlap was plain without  ruffles.  I just cut a strip the width of the fabric so it was 45 inches long and 12 inches wide.  I fringed all the edges and stay stitched around.  The other two have ruffles on the ends.  They take a little more time but they are also fringed so no hemming....


Burlap is fast to cut. Just measure and pull out a string where you want to cut.

Cut down the empty space which gives you a nice straight edge.

I used some recycled linen for the ruffles.  I cut 2 rectangles 7 inches by 24 inches from an old skirt!

Gather the long sides and sew to the ends of the burlap.  I did over edge them to stop the fraying threads.

I finished by fringing the hem of the ruffle, turning the edges of the ruffle and stay stitching the burlap /ruffle edges.  The next one is a floral printed burlap with a gingham ruffle.  Done the same way!

I forgot to take a picture of one I made last week,  it was burlap with a lace ruffle.  The lace came off some vintage lace curtains!
   I made all of these from scraps of fabric and lace that I already had...so....$0.. Trash to Treasure!!!

No comments: