Friday, February 4, 2011

Buttons!

I confessed to my cousin recently that I "may" have a slight obsession with buttons. I really love vintage buttons....but...I am also drawn to new buttons. I blame it all on my sewing work, which technically makes them a business expense....right?? It turns out this may be a genetic trait on my Mom's side of the family. We have identified 5 women that are attracted to buttons and there may be more.. Here is some evidence of my issues:

Vintage buttons from estate sales in jars on the mantle...

and in teacups...

Old and new buttons from thrift stores in jars in the sewing room...

Newer buttons from an estate sale in a canning jar lamp in the kitchen...

Tins of buttons in the sewing room...

Buttons in an old salt shaker that I made into a pin cushion...

Vintage buttons from an estate sale framed on the wall of the bedroom... (These buttons belonged to a woman that married a man who grew up in this house!)

More newer buttons around the base of a candle in the parlor....

Do you think I need an intervention?

8 comments:

Lilly said...

No...I love them I told Bon that you didn't need buttons, that I was the one who needed buttons. I miss spoke. Sorry, I will say something to her. I do have enough because I will only make one or two pin cushions. I did get 2 real short glass candle holder is $tree to put pin cushions on similar to HL brochure. xxoo lil

The Cranky Queen said...

I love anything with buttons on it. My friends,Wanda & Melanie, have a great collection of buttons also. My favorite are theme buttons or ones off of military jackets. Of course glass & Victorian ones also make my heart skip a beat...I am a new collector of the really old buttons, but I can never help myself to stop and rummage through all the button bins at local estate/garage sales or antique malls. Please visit my blog thecrankyqueen.blogspot.com and sign up to follow and leave a comment. I am a dear friend of your relative Wanda Craft and live in Sylacauga. Thanx for sharing. Tiff

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

At least it's an obsession with something small, rather than a large item! They are displayed so well and you must enjoy looking at them...and the hunt for more must also be fun!

Pam said...

I love buttins too. I have a tin of buttons that belonged to my grandmother. She would always keep me busy but handing me the tin and letting me string the buttons on a string when I was little. Kept me occupied for hours.

Wanda @ Just Vintage said...

Ya think? :-) I have the same obsession. It always amazes me how much we have in common. I like that you have so many displayed and I LOVE that you were lucky enough to find the ones that belonged to the wife.

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Lynn, I LOVE your style. I dont think you should change a thing!!!

kristie said...

yes, i think you need an intervention ;-)

acorn hollow said...

If you do I do. I love buttons and why is that. I know my mother and grandmother loved buttons as a little kid I would go through their button tins looking at all the colors and pretty designs.
so I guess it inherited it.
Cathy