This weekend DH and Son#3 carried the mantle outside and DH spent the whole weekend (except during the Super Bowl) stripping it. Since I had not worked on it with a heat gun all the old yucky paint was still on it. But now it looks like this.... nice and clean!
You can also see where he poured a concrete base for the hearth around the new electrical stuff, so we can plug in the fake fireplace. We found an insert on sale at L*we's that will do. It is not as nice as the coal burning one we got for the parlor (read: much less $$$$) but, we will not use it as much. Now we are working on how we can reuse the original tile and add to it to replace broken and missing pieces.
I completed my assignment to get the paint off the baseboard with the heat gun. The reason I do this is that it makes his work much easier. The baseboards will be painted to match the rest of the house and crown moulding. We are stripping them to clean off the 500 coats of old paint so they don't look so lumpy and sloppy.
I had some time to play a little this weekend. I made a pillow to send to the Granddog in Alaska with his Valentine dog chew! The color of the pillow dog is wrong - but the breed is right. Here he is over Christmas getting a kiss from Bitsey!
And I took some pictures of the Camelias that are blooming in our yard. The bushes are as tall as the first floor of our house! I wish I knew more about the varieties. I also have one bush with a dark red, almost burgundy, flower that has finished blooming.
You can also see where he poured a concrete base for the hearth around the new electrical stuff, so we can plug in the fake fireplace. We found an insert on sale at L*we's that will do. It is not as nice as the coal burning one we got for the parlor (read: much less $$$$) but, we will not use it as much. Now we are working on how we can reuse the original tile and add to it to replace broken and missing pieces.
I completed my assignment to get the paint off the baseboard with the heat gun. The reason I do this is that it makes his work much easier. The baseboards will be painted to match the rest of the house and crown moulding. We are stripping them to clean off the 500 coats of old paint so they don't look so lumpy and sloppy.
I had some time to play a little this weekend. I made a pillow to send to the Granddog in Alaska with his Valentine dog chew! The color of the pillow dog is wrong - but the breed is right. Here he is over Christmas getting a kiss from Bitsey!
And I took some pictures of the Camelias that are blooming in our yard. The bushes are as tall as the first floor of our house! I wish I knew more about the varieties. I also have one bush with a dark red, almost burgundy, flower that has finished blooming.


4 comments:
The mantel and baseboards look wonderful. The camelias are soooo pretty. "A" will love the pillow. Her doggie is really cute. Must send her a valentine. DH is working so hard. Hope he takes time for himself. Loved the Super Bowl. Don't usually watch it.
xxoo Lilly
Bitsey kissies!
Lots of hard work...but everything is looking so good. I love your Camelias...mine are just starting to bloom..hugs, Linda
Those flowers are gorgeous!
P.S. I left you an award on my blog. =)
Post a Comment