Thursday, December 15, 2011

Pine Cone Elves

A few months ago I found some vintage pine cone elves at a church rummage sale. They were not very cute so I sold them on ebay. Of course I had immediate sellers regret! I already had a couple but, I wished I had kept them - just because of their age. So I decided to make some reproductions...only cuter! I made 5 based on the materials I had on hand and the 2 old ones I had. They are spending the Christmas on this shelf.
The shelf may end up in the booth after Christmas. It was an ugly painted country look. I sanded it, painted it, sanded again and added burlap to the back. I am afraid I will regret selling it next Christmas when I pull out my elves!
The elf on the right is vintage- the other 3 are mine.

On this shelf the one on the left is vintage.





I used Sculpty to make the face and feet. The base is paper mache with snow paint. The arms and beard are chenille.


I pulled out little stuff from my stash for accessories- trees, wreaths, light strings...



I made this one some Sculpty mushrooms

And this one has a Sculpty lantern hanging from a tree branch. The hardest thing to make was the face. I finally made a mold of an angel face that looked kind of grumpy and just made all the faces the same. To make a mold you just push a ball of Sculpty on the face and them bake it. You dust the mold with baby powder so the clay does not stick in it each time you mold a face. This was easy after all the trial and errors !!!!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW! Your hand made elves are fantastic! I have many vintage pinecone elves that I found in a shoebox during an estate sale in my home town in LA. You are too talented...Have a Merry Christmas. Hope you can stop by the Pickle Patch to check out Wanda and my booths when you come to she Ma n Law! Tiffany

Pam said...

how cute!

Lilly said...

Cranky Queen is too funny. Take some pics of the Pickle Patch and post them so I can see Wanda's booth.
Got your box, did not open it yet. Love you pine cone elves. Will miss seeing everyone. Boo Whooo.
Lil xxoo

Rhonda said...

Dropping by to wish you all a very safe and joyful Christmas!!

I love your booth at Angels - had no idea when I was there last week that it was yours-didn't see the sign. I thought how 'fresh' it was to see a kitchen-y booth. It's too cute!
Merry Christmas
Rhonda