Thursday, September 15, 2011

Eli Earned His Angel Wings

Walter Elias Carter 2002-2011









It is another sad day here at the Swamp as we said good-bye to our beloved Eli. He responded to the meds for a few days and we were confident that he would get better. Then things began to go downhill again. We got a second opinion and then were referred to a neurologist at the AU Vet School. Before his appointment he began to suffer more, the pain meds were just not working. My Hubby took him to the Emergency Room at the Vet School and they got him more comfortable. He had the best diagnosis team and equipment available. They found that he had prostrate cancer which is rare in dogs and very fast growing. It had already spread. They offered us some treatment options that would only buy him 2 months at most and would not give him a good quality of life. He had to make the hard decision to let him go over the Rainbow Bridge. My Hubby said he was at peace at the end and licked his face as if to let him know it was OK. Oh! How we loved that dog! Our hearts are broken but we could not let him suffer. Bitsey and Chug are sad, they remained at his side while he was sleeping for 2 weeks and you can tell they are grieving as well. I hope they serve carrots and chicken over the Rainbow Bridge!

9 comments:

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

So sorry to hear this...pets are such an important part of our families and it is terrible to see them go - hoping you keep the memories alive!

Lilly said...

Eli is not suffering any longer. He was a dear, dear doggie with so much expression and love. He knows that you let him go out of your love for him. He has a place in your hearts forever. Pets are family members and we wrap our hearts around them. Grandpa now has a companion and will take good care of Eli. Now, Eli would want you to take care of yourselves

xxoo Lilly

Sandy said...

I'm so sorry to hear this. My heart is aching for you. I know too well that feeling. We are just lucky to have them to love and take care of while they are on this earth. I am sending you big hugs. I sure like to think of all the angel pets up there running in a big field of green with clean stream waters and lots of shady trees...heaven.

Diane said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. My little Lhasa is nearly 14 years old, and while she is still in good health, I know the time is nearing when I will have to let her go. Pets are such a part of the family and it hurts so much to lose them. I wish you peace.

Punchbugpug said...

Lynn so very sorry to hear of Eli's passing. Cyber hugs to you and your family!

kristie said...

i am so sorry to hear about eli! our fur babies are so dear to us and only with us for such a short time. how lucky he was to have such loving parents who took great care of him. hugs to all of you!

pam said...

I'm so sorry to hear this. Hugs to you!

chalica said...

Im so sorry! He was such a cute little fellow and I loved seeing pictures of him.

Anonymous said...

Have been away for a few weeks and just read about your little Eli. So sorry for your loss, but it looks like you went ahead with another brother for the pups! They do find us! luv from lkpt